One hundred years ago today, the 301st Engineers entered the town of Lommeringen, the first town in Alsace-Lorraine. The French provinces of Alsace and Lorraine had fallen under German control after the Franco-Prussian War of 1870. For 48 years they had suffered under the boot of the Germans.
Clause II of the Armistice read, “Immediate evacuation of the invaded countries-Belgium, France, Luxemburg, as well as Alsace-Lorraine-so ordered as to be completed
within 15 days from the signature of the armistice.” The people of these areas warmly welcomed their liberators, the 301st Engineers among them.
“In Lommeringen, the first village entered in Lorraine, the regiment was met by a delegation of leading citizens, and a brief halt was made while the village priest delivered an address to welcome the Americans, presenting the Commanding Officer and his staff with flowers in great profusion. The march was resumed, the regiment being escorted for several kilometers by flower bedecked young people carrying flags of the United States and of France.”
– A Short History of the 301st Engineers
Some other photos from the liberation and the German exit.